Tuesday, May 03, 2005

it's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife

once again i am reminded that i am not in control of my life.

all semester i have been trying to figure out whether or not to have my elbow replaced, and if so, when and how, etc, etc. we finally decided to have it this friday and found out recovery would be about a month, so i secured a job in buies creek starting june 1 to stay there for the rest of the summer to do marketing work and to work on sga stuff for the fall.

i got home last night because my pre-op appointment was this morning. on the way downtown, my mom turned on her phone only to receive a message from my UNC doctor saying that she did not think i should have surgery on friday. she says my last remacaid treatment was 4 weeks ago, and that i should allow at least 8 weeks before surgery b/c it increases the risk of infection in the joint.

i've tried to call the woman at least 3-4 times a week since my last treatment and have never received a call back. my mom called last week and found out she was on vacation for the week. so, on our way to pre-op today, we were told that i might not have surgery on friday.

basically, that leaves me a standstill. my doctor and the surgeon are now going to talk and decide what they think is best and let me know. if they decide i have to wait at least another month, i honestly don't think i can do it this summer. i have a job to start and i can't afford to sit around all summer. so, that pushes the left elbow to Christmas and the right one to....well, when i graduate and don't have my parents insurance anymore.

it's just interesting to me, because i finally thought i had everything worked out. surprise, surprise.

even if they decide to go through with it this week, at least i'm learning to sit back and laugh at my ironic life. i am trying to learn something from everything that happens to me, and so far, it hasn't been too hard.

"well life has a funny way of sneaking up on you when you think everything's okay and everything's going right.
and life has a funny way of helping you out when you think everything's gone wrong and everything blows up in your face"



(shout-out to katherine ruth tibbitts, who sang a "katie version" of ironic when she opened shannon's silverware drawer the other night)

No comments: